Written by Allison Price
(Not medically reviewed by Erin Stair, MD, MPH)
Living a healthy life seems to get tougher by the day. With the rise in air and water pollution, our bodies are at a greater risk of toxic metals build up. This is where Chelation Therapy comes in. It’s the process of removing heavy metals from the bloodstream. From being used as an anti-aging treatment to an alternative treatment for heart diseases, Chelation therapy is used widely for its many benefits.
Toxic metals like mercury, lead, and arsenic can build up in the body causing diseases. Chelation Therapy is a method by which toxic metals are removed from the body. A dose of the chelating agents is given through the intravenous route or in the form of a pill. The chelators bind themselves to the toxic metals in your bloodstream. The blood is filtered by your kidney and the metal toxins are passed through urine.
Chelation therapy is being widely used to treat diseases like Alzheimer’s, autism, and diabetes. It is also being used as an anti-aging treatment. It has also been widely used for treating lead poisoning. Below, are some benefits of chelation therapy.
Benefits Of Chelation Therapy:
- Treatment for Heavy metal Poisoning: Chelation therapy is used for the treatment of poisoning from heavy metals like iron, mercury, and lead. It’s an approved treatment for lead poising. It’s often recommended for children with a blood lead level of 45 MCG/dL. EDTA is a synthetic chelator that has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of heavy metal poisoning and increased blood calcium levels.
- Effective Anti-Aging treatment: As metal toxins are said to accelerate aging, chelation therapy can be a powerful anti-aging Chelation therapy is said to improve blood circulation, enabling more oxygen to reach the blood cells.
- Treatment of Autism: Some believe that autism in children is caused by the presence of mercury in vaccines. However, studies have refuted this idea. Still, chelation therapy is being used to treat autism. Removing excessive lead from the body can help reduce the symptoms of autism.
- Useful For Coronary Heart Diseases: When fatty deposits called plaque build up in the arteries, they make the blood vessels narrow and less flexible. This disturbs blood flow to the heart and causes heart diseases. Since plaques contain calcium, chelators bind themselves to the calcium and help in removing the build-up. Chelation therapy is especially beneficial for people with diabetes. Some experts believe that EDTA acts as an antioxidant that removes metals that combine with LDL cholesterol to cause heart damage.
With Chelation therapy, you can slow down and even reverse diseases like atherosclerosis. It such cases, chelation therapy works best when a patient has high levels of metal toxins in the body. Therefore, before choosing Chelation therapy as an alternate treatment, you can test the level of metal toxins in your body.
- Helpful for Alzheimer’s: Alzheimer’s is caused by the buildup of amyloids, copper, zinc, and iron in the brain. These substances damage the brain. Though there is no treatment for the disease, it’s believed that chelation therapy may help in curing it. Since the metal buildup is in the brain, EDTA helps in the treatment.
- Reduces Inflammation: EDTA acts as an antibody that protects the body from inflammation. Patients have reported less pain after Chelation treatment for arthritis, lupus, and scleroderma.
Dosage and Cost: Chelation treatments may take up to one year and require hundreds of sessions. The cost depends on factors like the dosage of EDTA given. Chelation treatments are inexpensive when compared to surgeries. However, it can also be taken alongside other medical treatments.
Safety Measures: Though Chelation treatment is said to be a powerful treatment to remove heavy metals from the body, high doses can have serious consequences. Chelation therapy must be completely avoided by children, pregnant women, and people with kidney failure.
It has side effects like nausea, high blood pressure, headache, and low blood pressure even when taken in low doses. However, these symptoms are more likely to occur when the EDTA dosage hasn’t been administered by a trained physician.
Conclusion: Chelation Therapy is approved by FDA for heavy metal poisoning. It’s also beneficial for coronary heart diseases, autism, and inflammatory diseases like arthritis. One of the key benefits of Chelation therapy is that it can be taken alongside other medical treatments. However, besides its use as a drug for metal poisoning, there isn’t much evidence for its effectiveness for curing diseases like autism and Alzheimer’s.
In case you decide to get Chelation therapy combined with your medical treatments, consult your doctor for advice. However, it’s not advisable to forgo your traditional medical treatment and replace it with Chelation Therapy.